Saturday 23 April 2011

Creating a Drop-down list on NeoOffice

As instructed by the planets & my High Almighty mother, I had to start packing up my brand-new SOHO office after the fancy reno.

I decided to start an inventory list to record the location of all the items kept to reduce all the frustrations of finding things in my work space and home.

To speed up search process, a drop-down list would be very helpful, but alas, I have lost touch with the more in-depth functions of Excel since my schooling days and I do not have Microsoft Excel on my Macbook, thus I decided to search online for more help.

Unfortunately, the Microsoft Help and the Neo Office Help were not very clear.  Thus, I decided to share what I finally figured out after a couple of hours.

1. Select the cells you wish to have the drop box function.
2. On the top left hand corner of Neo Office, click on the Name Box (that Drop down list that writes B11 in the picture below) & rename the selected cells & press "enter".  For example, "Location" or "Expenditure Type", depending on what you are creating this spreadsheet for.

3. Next, click on "Data" from the top main menu & select "Validity..."


4. In the box that pops out, under the "Criteria" tab, click on the scroll down list under "Allow" & select "List".

5. You can choose whether to allow for blank cells (you know those moments when you have not decided where to put your latest gadget).  But ensure that "Show Selection List" is ticked & you can start keying in all the selections you want to see in your drop-drop list.

6. Click on "OK" & Voila! Drop down list done! 

What if I forgot to add another item in my list?  What should I do?

Simple!  Just click on any cell you have selected to have this drop-down list, and click on "Data" and "Validity..." like the Step 3 above, and you will enter the box with the entire list you have entered earlier.  Key in whatever you have missed out; remember to key in only 1 item per line.  Click "OK".  

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!





No comments:

Post a Comment